Housing Options - Privately Rented Accommodation

Privately Rented Accommodation

There is a good supply of privately rented accommodation in Wrexham and properties are available in most areas. Renting privately offers:

Choice - a range of accommodation exists with flats and apartments being more readily available in some areas and houses in others

Flexibility - you choose which areas you want to consider

Speed - properties are available now

Furnished and non-furnished properties are available

Can I afford it?

If you are on a low income, you may qualify for Housing Benefit (you can download the application form here) to help you pay the rent. You can use the Housing Benefit Calculator to get an instant benefit estimate or contact the Council's Housing Benefit Team. Remember that you will also have to pay other bills such as gas, electricity and water - use the  budget planner to help make sure that you can cover these costs.

Will Housing Benefit fully cover the rent?

The maximum amount of Housing Benefit that can be paid depends on the size of the property that your household needs and is set by Local Housing Allowance rates. Please note that you may not receive the maximum amount as your household income and savings will be taken into account to assess your Housing Benefit claim.

What if I can't afford to pay a bond?

If you are homeless, or threatened with homelessness, and do not have savings or access to money to pay a bond, Wrexham County Borough Council's Housing Options Service may be able to help.

Bond Scheme    

How long will I be able to stay?

Tenancies are generally assured shorthold for 6 or 12 months. They can usually be extended if you haven't breached the terms of your tenancy agreement. As always, contact an advice agency if you need help.

What about furniture?

Furnished and unfurnished properties are available in most areas of Wrexham. Furniture Reuse Network and Freecycle may be able to assist with your furniture needs.

How can I find a property?

Use the Available Properties link to find details of properties owned by landlords who accept Housing Benefit. Other options would be to look in local papers, contact a letting agent or have a look on the Rightmove website.

The Landlord Accreditation Wales website provides details of landlords who are accredited and should therefore provide well managed accommodation. Similarly, the ARLA website provides information about letting agents who meet specific professional management standards

Shared Accommodation

You may want to think about renting a room in a shared house or flat, where you would have your own room and share facilities such as kitchen, bathroom and living rooms. If you choose to live in shared accommodation not only will you find somewhere to live, but you may also save money. Household bills (e.g. council tax, electricity, water, internet and telephone line rental) may be included in the rent or may be split between the number of people living in the house. Shared houses and flats can also be very social and could help you to meet new friends.

You could find a room in a shared house or flat by looking in the local paper, shop windows and advertisement boards. The websites listed below may help you to find a room in a shared house or flat.



For student housing go to Glyndwr studentpad

What is the average rent price for a property in Wrexham?

Average prices can be seen on the RentRight website.